Simple braised beef stewed in aromatic spices is an easy recipe you will go back to again and again. Choose an inexpensive cut of meat for this recipe and let you guests add on extra toppings or spice it up. Or serve beef on top of Fragrant Yellow Rice.
- Place beef chunks in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on roaster skitter and dissipate, add ¼ of seasoned meat and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until well browned. Remove browned meat and any juice remaining in roaster and transfer to a bowl. Brown remaining meat in 3 batches.
- When all of the meat is browned, add onions and garlic to roaster and sauté 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Place browned meat back in roaster. Add tomato puree, water, cumin and chili powder. Toss to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender, but still keeps its shape.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve braised beef as is or with warm tortillas and toppings.
- Select chuck roast, bottom round or beef shoulder.
- Do not put too much meat into roaster to cook at once or it will steam instead of brown.
- Serve with warm tortillas, corn taco shells, in a taco salad bowl or as is.
- Braised beef freezes well for a quick and easy meal.