10 - 12 servings
Unidad con Tapa de 2,8 L (3 Qt.)
Cesta Culinaria de 2,5 Qt. (1,49L)
Unidad con Tapa de 4,7 L (5 Qt.)
Certified Healthy Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Descripción de la Receta:
Cock-a-leekie soup is a traditional Scottish dish often served as an everyday meal with bread. This version is lighter in fat and calories, but still full of flavor.
3 - 31⁄2
whole free range chicken, cut into pieces or bone-in chicken thighs
(1.4 - 1.6
onion, cut into chunks
stalks celery, cut into chunks
carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and cut into chunks
leeks, washed and thinly sliced
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh parsley leaves, chopped
fresh ground black pepper
barley or basmati rice
- Trim excess fat from chicken.
- Place chicken, onions, celery, carrots and bay leaves in roaster. Pour water over contents, turn heat to medium and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low. Cook chicken for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from roaster. Let chicken rest until it is cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones and discard bones and skins. Chop chicken into pieces.
- Place culinary basket in sauce pan and strain chicken broth. Pour strained chicken broth back in roaster and add leeks, chopped chicken, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper and barley or rice.
- Place cover on roaster and turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 30 - 40 minutes until leeks are soft and grains are cooked. (Time will vary depending on what grain you are using.)
- Taste, adjust seasoning as necessary and serve.
- Substitute barley or rice for 1 pound of diced potatoes.
- Add ½ cup pitted chopped prunes to stock when adding chicken and grains. The addition of prunes is quite common in many traditional recipes.
- Extra soup freezes well.