This one pan meal is eaten in Israel for breakfast. There are many variations and seasoning adaptions. Serve this with challah bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- Place diced eggplant into a colander and toss with ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside while preparing the rest of the vegetables.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, add onions and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add red peppers, jalapeños and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant and sauté for 3 - 5 minutes until eggplant starts to soften, stirring vegetables during cooking.
- Add cumin, sweet paprika and bay leaf. Toss to combine and toast spices.
- Add tomatoes and juices and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and place 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover on skillet. Cook sauce for 30 - 35 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove cover and make six indents in sauce with back of spoon. Crack eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl and gently pour one egg into each hole. Sprinkle feta cheese over top. Cover and cook for 5 - 7 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
- Serve immediately and garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Substitute eggplant for summer squash or zucchini.
- Add in chicken sausage for a heartier brunch-style entrée or substitute for firm tofu, cut into chunks.
- Instead of poaching eggs in sauce, scramble eggs and pour a small amount into each indent.