Vapor cooking food in your Saladmaster Culinary Basket is an easy way to prepare and preserve nutrients in foods for your baby. Batch cook and freeze cooled purees in individual portion sizes. I like to use ice cube trays and then place frozen blocks into a sealed storage container or storage bag. Defrost as needed.
- Place 2 cups of water in sauce pan and cover. Turn heat to medium-high. When Vapo-Valve™ starts clicking steadily, carefully remove cover.
- Place squash in bottom of basket, spreading evenly, and add diced chicken over top. Place basket in sauce pan and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce temperature to low and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Carefully remove basket from sauce pan and transfer contents to a blender or food processor. Add a pinch of salt and blend contents until smooth.
- Serve puree warm as is.
- Refrigerate remaining puree.
- Choose pasture raised or organic chicken that is free of chemicals and growth hormones.
- Use a little bit of breast milk, bone broth, or steaming liquid to thin out puree as needed.
- As your baby grows, add in a small pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon, basil or other herbs to introduce your young eater to new flavors. Keep it simple and avoid spicy flavors.