Escarole, a member of the chicory family is a leafy green rich in Vitamins A & C and fiber. Escarole has a slightly bitter flavor, that gets sweeter when cooked. Farro is an ancient grain, once a mainstay of ancient Rome. It has a slightly nutty flavor and chewy texture and cooks in only 30 minutes. Soak Farro overnight in water to reduce cooking time and help to make it more easily digested.
- Preheat Grand Gourmet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until a small sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Sauté onion, celery and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Farro, vegetable stock, crushed tomato, bay leaves, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add escarole, stirring to incorporate into other ingredients.
- Cover and when Vapo-Valve™ begins to click, turn to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir in cannellini beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves from soup and discard.
- Serve soup hot with shaved parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Substitute cannellini beans for Italian style flat green beans.